☢️ History of 3 Mile Island ☢️
• Now, a brief lesson in the most significant accident in U.S. 🇺🇸 commercial power plant history.
📆 • March 28th, 1979
🗺 • Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, USA
📊 • Ranked 5 out of 7 on the International Nuclear Event Scale
💰 • $2.4 Billion in property damages, $1 Billion on cleanup efforts
• 40 years ago on March 28th, the 3 Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station sufferer a partial meltdown on reactor #2.
• The accident began when large amounts of pressure built up in the non-nuclear secondary system. To counter act high overwhelming pressure, a valve was manually operated to release pressure.
• Failures occurred with the pressure release valve and allowed for large amounts of nuclear reactor coolant to escape. Due to loss of coolant, the reactor began to increase in temperature and eventually led to the meltdown.
• It is estimated that the power plant failure caused about $2.4 Billion in property damages and about $1 Billion in cleanup efforts, which lasted from 1979-1993.
Have you heard of this nuclear disaster in the USA? Perhaps the one in Chernobyl, Ukraine? 🇺🇦