A vegan, nut-free Mac and “cheez” with @eatbanza pasta and red pepper flakes! Eventually stirred in some Swiss chard that didn’t make the photo shoot. Pairs well with any pasta, I use banza because it provides me with about half my daily value of protein! I don’t eat meat very often so this is a great way for me to easily pack some protein into a meal.
An important note: replacements like “vegan Mac and cheese” or “cauliflower pizza crust” are often manipulated by diet culture to demonize one food (actual Mac and cheese and pizza) and praise another (carrots and cauliflower). I think it’s important when we talk about these foods to make sure we eat them because they’re DELICIOUS, nourishing, satisfying and fun to experiment with new recipes, and not tying moral values to foods by labeling them as “good” or “bad”. Anyways here’s wonderwall (recipe below)
1 yukon gold potato
1 large carrot
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 a large red onion, sliced
1 cup of sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 tbsp of Olive Oil + 1-2 tsp for sautéing
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/3 cup of water
2/3 cup of vegetable stock
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. *wash the potato carrot and mushrooms*
2. Peel the potato and carrot. Cut the the potato in half, then each half into quarters. Chop the carrot into about 5 large chunks.
3. Peel and cut onion in half, slice half of one of the halves. Set aside. Pop the stem of the baby Bella mushrooms and slice them thinly, about 1/8 inch thick. Peel garlic cloves and set aside.
4. Place a small sauce pan of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Put in carrots in potatoes.
5. While the carrots and potatoes boil, heat a non stick frying pan with about 1-2 tsp oil. Once oil it heated, add in the sliced mushrooms and onion. Season with pepper and toss every few minutes until onions are translucent and mushrooms are browned.
6. When you are able to easily stick a fork through both the potatoes and carrots, drain them from the water.
7. Place the potato, carrot, onion, mushrooms and garlic into a food processor or blender with the vegetable stock and